Monday, October 14, 2013

Candida Wellness Detox Program

I just completed a 30 day candida wellness detox program. This is a big step for me being a picky eater as it caused me step out of my comfort zone of warm breads and cheesy pastas while clinging to the greenness that I have despised for so many years. I won't say that it is not challenging or that it is even easy, but after the first week and half was over I felt like it was so much easier and now I feel absolutely fantastic! 

First, what is candida? "Candida is an over-infestation of yeast in the body. It can invade the brain and every tissue of the body, and it grows and lives on what you eat. It makes your body crave what it needs to grow, and rampages until you eat it. Many medications, such as steroid drugs, birth control pills, and antibiotics can increase the likelihood of a candida yeast imbalance.
Symptoms include frequent yeast, bladder or skin infections, chronic fungus such as athletes foot or thrush, allergic reaction or increased sensitivities to foods or chemicals, bowel disorders, muscle pain or weakness, and fatigue." (M'lis website) 
To read more about what candida is click here
Why would I do something like this? I decided to go on this detox after several months of not being able to escape my sugar cravings. I felt like it was consuming me and that I would eventually turn into a big cake pop! A company of all natural products that I use in my massage therapy office offers a plan to eliminate candida from the body. The plan consists of 30-60 days (depending on how bad your candida is) of a strict meal plan. Through out the plan you eliminate red meat, dairy, fruit, refined sugars and flours while eating whole grains, veggies and lean proteins such as fish or poultry. This is the plan because yeast feeds off of all sugar. Ask yourself: When was the last meal that you ate where there was no sugar in it at all? Sugar is in everything. Every processed food. All the name brands that you love add it so that you will love their product. We are addicted. I like to think of sugar as a serious drug and that this plan is my true detox from it. 
The plan of his detox is to starve out the yeast from the body and candida is a living organism that will fight to survive. The plan consists of all natural herbal supplementation:
-Fiber
-Cleanse
-Detox
-Probiotic
and 3 detoxifying liquid days on day 9 through 11. On all other days you can eat veggies, whole grains and lean protein.  You do 3 more detox liquid days to finish your program out, so if you are doing 30 days you repeat the liquid on days 28-30. On the liquid only days you drink a lemonade mixture containing fresh lemon juice, pure maple syrup and distilled water while taking the herbal supplements. This is not to be confused with the "master cleanse" This is not the same thing at all. 
During this detoxification process the body may go through what is called a "healing crisis". The consumption of caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol and other substances contribute this effect. During the first 2 weeks I could actually feel my candida or what I like to call my "sugar monster" trying to survive.  During detoxification and the days following, many people experience some of the signs of a healing crisis, which may include: headaches, skin breakouts, bowel sluggishness, diarrhea, fatigue, sweating frequent urination, congestion, nasal discharge, or body aches. Some also briefly experience anxiety, irritability or mental depression.  If these temporary symptoms are experienced it is a POSITIVE thing!  I can honestly say that my worse symptom was one day of nausea and not wanting to eat anything on the allowed plan. It was really not bad at all.  This means that the candida is fighting to survive and is dying off. It is very important to drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins from the system and get plenty of rest. 
Results are absolutely astounding! As the body goes through this detox it will feel better.  Fatigue, mental sluggishness, sugar cravings and crashing will be minimal or eliminated by the end and the body's over all well- being is enhanced. Think of detoxification as a gift to your hard working, abused body. In all honesty I did not expect to see the results that I have received. Some of the differences I have seen are the following: I use to be very sensitive to toxic aroma like hairspray or strong perfume and especially cigarettes. I still do not like to be around cigarettes but I no longer get a headache when I am around these things. I lost 7lbs! I did not plan to loose much weight but 7lbs is quite a bit for me because I am a tiny person. I weigh less now then I have for the past 9 years! I do not crave sugar like I use to and when I am around junk food such as high calorie chips, processed cheese and freezer foods I now think that they sound discussing and couldn't imagine putting that in my body. Before I went on this program every time I ate I would fight a mucus build up in my throat. (I know that is gross, sorry!) Now I do not have that. On top of all of that I have so much more energy and clearer skin. Bonus!! These are just a few of the benefits I have seen. 
I think it is important for all of us to look at our diet and listen to our bodies.  What are you craving? How do you feel? We control our bodies...not our food. 

If you have any questions or would like to know more about this detox you can contact me and I would be happy to talk with you about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment