Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Poppo's Taqueria on Anna Maria Island

Poppo's Taqueria 212C Pine Ave, Anna Maria, FL
941-254-7941

I have a big heart for small local businesses. Perhaps that is why Anna Maria is my favorite beach as it is surrounded by artsy mom and pop shops and lacks any large and obnoxious hotels or chain restaurants. We went on a day beach trip this last weekend and found ourselves attracted to this little joint for lunch. Right down the street from the City Pier a small sign by the road caught our eye reading: Tacos, Burritos and Quesadillas. What more could you ask for?

Poppo's is very much like Chipotle in it's layout and serving style but it definitely trumps the popular chain in food quality and creative selection. All produce is organic when available and all meat is hormone & antibiotic free.  They also have gluten-free options.

To order you choose your style of preparation and follow the bar as you build your order by request. Styles include:
2 Tacos-$7
Burrito- $7.95
Cheese Quesadilla- $3
Loaded Quesadilla-$5
Plate-$8.95 (This is your choice of toppings on a bed of their Honey Lime Slaw- my husband fell in love with the slaw.)

I recommend ordering the tacos with shredded chicken and a side of Chips and Guacamole. The chips are flour tortillas chopped and fried fresh to order.  It was truly amazing!
The food is a little bit more expensive than you would expect for quick service. My husband and I spent $25 on our meal. I would gladly pay it again for the food quality that we received.

Another quirky difference that makes this taqueria stand out among the others are their beverages.
All sodas are high fructose corn syrup free! Fountain drinks are $1.65 and come with free refills. There are also bottled sodas and I opted to try Virgil's Root Beer. I believe I have found a new favorite.

The majority of the seating is outside but there is a bar that seats 7 people inside. Pappo's is open 11am-9pm daily but are closed on Tuesdays.

I highly recommend this quick service gem. My husband and I have both been craving it every day since we left the beach.  I believe we will have to make another beach trip very soon.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment